XFL Commissioner and CEO Oliver Luck joined The Ken Carman Show with Anthony Lima to talk about the XFL and why spring football can work.
Luck talked about what makes the XFL different from the AAF, what rules the league is working on and if QB’s John Manziel and Colin Kaepernick are welcome in the XFL.
- Chance to work for a Football league startup is what drew him out of his NCAA job
- Believes there is a market for Spring Football after the Super Bowl. “(Spring) is a quiet time in the sports world.”
- Vince McMahon is the one and the only person with the money. No need to deal with multiple investors and he can focus on the league. Different from the AAF
- Vince McMahon’s capital gives the league time and money to get things in place to have a successful league
- QB talent is critical for the league and they pay more money for those players
- Only 32 teams in the NFL with two slots typically for QBs. He feels there is a ton of talent out there not on NFL teams
- Quarterbacks are the top of the food chain
- 12 innovations the XFL is working on. See Luck On XFL Overtime, 1, 2 or 3 Point Conversions, Manziel for details
- Vince McMahon wants a stand-alone league not affiliated with the NFL. Has no interest in selling the league to the NFL
- College football is the developmental league for the NFL
- XFL broadcast partners like the XFL Overtime rules
- Open to John Manziel playing in the XFL as long, he fits the behavioral standards of the league and the coaches feel like he’s good enough. XFL has had no contact with him
- Same applies to Colin Kaepernick, doesn’t know if he is in shape or not. Not sure he would be interested in playing in the XFL based on the rumored salary requirements. We reported Colin Kaepernick Wanted $20 Million To Play In XFL here. But he would be open to him as well.
On the Colin Kaepernick part of the story. The media has been reporting this story as “XFL commissioner and CEO Oliver Luck seems open to having Johnny Manziel in the league, but doesn’t seem as open to Colin Kaepernick.” If you listen to the interview he has the same interest in both players but Kaepernick probably wouldn’t want to play in the XFL. Listen for your self at the (9:12 mark)
Leave a Reply
Leave a Reply
XFL Announces Key Rule Changes for 2023 Season, Kick Off, Tiered Extra Points Remain
XFL Podcast/ 4 days ago
XFL Week 6 Preview, DFS Picks, Injuries, Depth Charts, XFL Predictions, XFL Fantasy Picks
Mark Previews Week 6 of the XFL season. Goes over XFL betting strategies, DFS...
April 25, 2019 at 9:20 am
I believe this will work, I’m in
April 26, 2019 at 7:02 am
Colin doesn’t deserve to play in America, PLEASE get on a bus & go to Canada since they have no standard or care what their country stands for!!!! Plus u really are not that good let alone 20 million fool!!! This nut really thinks he is that great. You also get to see his head filled w his on ego at play. If he does get to play in America again, not one policeman or sheriffs deputy should guard him coming into or out of stadium & instead they should take a knee & let real Americans have at him! Make him pay for his own security.
April 26, 2019 at 7:06 am
I think this nuts ego is so big that he really believes he is worth 20 million! If he gets another chance to play in America it should only be possible if he apologizes for taken a knee. He wasn’t worth a million when he did play.
April 26, 2019 at 7:09 am
I think colin & any other player who took or takes a knee should pay for their own security in & out of games & if police do give him protection in & out of games they should do it by taking a knee as he leaves games & let real Americans have a chance to confront him oh wait a minutehe will have his mommy there to help him!!!
April 26, 2019 at 7:16 am
Johnny M proved he has not changed since the team he signed w in another league fired him for substance abuse again. He has not yet taken it to heart that being clean to play means NO Drugs & not going to parties espicalily since it was in his contract w them that 1 time was all they w give him. He has proven over & over again that he doesn’t get it & it all comes from Mommy & Daddy buying his way out of trouble in high school & college. He thinks he is still that young cute guy instead of an adult who isn’t cute anymore.
April 26, 2019 at 7:18 am
The little guy who had party parents proved he has not changed since the team he signed w in another league fired him for substance abuse again. He has not yet taken it to heart that being clean to play means NO Drugs & not going to parties espicalily since it was in his contract w them that 1 time was all they w give him. He has proven over & over again that he doesn’t get it & it all comes from Mommy & Daddy buying his way out of trouble in high school & college. He thinks he is still that young cute guy instead of an adult who isn’t cute anymore.
April 26, 2019 at 7:28 am
Vince McMahons league will not put up with Colin kneeing down or Johnnys drug abuse & partying. Vince & his fans love America & the men & women who have died to give us freedom years before colin even knew how to spell America. Colin lives off the very freedom that allowed him to play a game where he made more money than those who fought & fight & died to give him a chance to play a childs game & not have to work a real job.
May 31, 2019 at 6:04 pm
Lol you’re big mad huh?