The Big Play Podcast on Facebook Live had XFL CEO Oliver Luck last week. It was a 20-minute interview covering Oliver meeting Vince to the idea behind the Coach/GM role.
Notes from the Interview;
- Never met Vince McMahon before the XFL
- Started talking with Vince in May of 2018 about the XFL job
- Not a big wrestling fan but knew about the success of the WWE
- Met for several Saturday’s to go over Vince’s vision
- Vince realized they made mistakes in 2001. Was too gimmicky
- Came on board in July of 2018
- The credibility of the league is important
- The XFL 2001 scramble was a bad idea (replacement instead of kick-off in 2001)
- Need to be aware of head issues with players
- Wants to play “Crisp” football, not a lot of penalties
- Wants to have a bit more scoring than the AAF
- The offensive lineman is a critical position to fill
- The vision of an XFL Coach/GM comes from the days of Al Davis of the Raiders. Coaches were involved in gameday play calls and picking players. Going back to the ’70s and 80’s style coach
- XFL Coach/GM elevates the finger pointing between management and coaches because it is the responsibility of one person
- 85 million football fans, there is a void in the Spring the XFL can fill
- A lot of these fans live in or near major markets, thats why the eight cities were chosen
- Other coaching announcements coming soon
- XFL job is not to develop players for the NFL
- Proud of his son Andrew Luck after coming back from injury
Interview w/ CEO and Commissioner of the XFL, Oliver Luck!
What will be different this time around for the XFL? What have u learned from the launch of The Alliance? Did u ever catch Andrew Luck using a curse word in middle school?Posted by BIGPLAY on Thursday, March 14, 2019
XFL Ownership Show More League Action on Instagram, Hint At NFL Partnership?
/ 4 days ago
USFL Kickoff Date, Networks? CFL Week 12 Preview | The Markcast Episode 63 – Is Winnipeg Inevitable?
The USFL 2022 kickoff date? Potential TV partners to air 2022 USFL games and...