With the final XFL Summer Showcase taking place this weekend in St Louis, the next logical step in the XFL’s evolution is team names and logos. The question on everyone’s mind is when.
Every press conference, every article, every interview, and for us in the XFL media. Every time we talk XFL to none junkies, we get asked over and over again. When are the XFL team names coming?
Well, today via the XFL’s official Twitter account we got a little more confirmation that it will be soon.
Tomorrow marks the last stop of our #XFLShowcase tour in St. Louis.— XFL (@xfl2020) July 12, 2019
Next up: team names and logos, player signings, Draft, training camp and more!
Then it’s time for the inaugural season. Want to be a part of it? Secure your season tickets here: https://t.co/ybwwCj7bOj ?️ pic.twitter.com/U6lb3mzpxx
What we know about XFL team names so far;
- It is a painful and lengthy process to acquire them. Lots of legal deals, trademark searches, lawyers, negotiations for web domains, and social media accounts. It is not a quick transaction once the league selects a team name.
- The head coaches already know the team names. Several of the XFL coaches and team presidents have mentioned during interviews they know what the team name is and can’t say.
- XFL Seattle has a block of names ready to go. We reported on the Trademark by Alpha Entertainment of the five XFL Seattle names earlier.
- Oliver Luck, other coaches, and team presidents have said we will know in July. But we have also heard May and June in the past.
So the question is when;
- If they are going to pull the trigger on names, which is a huge deal, they need to do it during a slow sports news cycle. July 8th to July 17th is known as the quietest sports news cycle of the year. Nothing but the MLB All-Star game and this year women’s soccer. This is also a big summer vacation time in the US around July 4th. Perfect time to strike and take up that space.
- NFL training camps start July 17th for four teams. The Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks. Once NFL camps begin, all the focus will be back on fall football. The rest of the training camps open the week of July 22nd.
If the XFL does not want to lose the news cycle to the NFL, they need to announce the team names by July 16. The question becomes, will it all be in one fell swoop with all eight teams announced in New York or LA? Could it be like they did the coaching announcements, one in each city?
My prediction is next week, before NFL training camps in one fell swoop. They would have the sports news cycle all to themselves. This would peak NFL fans interest before their season begins and hopefully keep that hook in before the XFL kickoff in 2020.
The more this drags into the NFL season, the less focus the football fan will have. With NFL and college games being played in August, there is only so much attention to go around.
I could be wrong, and we wait and wait. But XFL super fans like us, we are ready for our tribe and start repping our gear. Fans not part of the eight cities are also ready. Fans can’t be all in, without a team to root for, they have been patiently waiting.
How would you handle the announcements of the XFL team names? What is more import to you, names, or logos? Leave us a comment.
Leave a Reply
Leave a Reply
XFL Announces Key Rule Changes for 2023 Season, Kick Off, Tiered Extra Points Remain
XFL Podcast/ 17 hours ago
XFL Week 6 Recap, DC Undefeated, Perez Traded, USA Todays Thomas Schad Talks Rock / Dany Interview
A jam packed episode. Thomas Schad from USA today talks his interview with The...
July 12, 2019 at 11:51 pm
both team names and logos are important. This should have already been done. This is like Me opening a business without putting My business name out there. It’s plain crazy how the XFL doesn’t seem to give a crap about it either.
July 13, 2019 at 6:33 am
It needs to be soon or risk losing momentum. As mentioned above, there is a very tight window in which to most effectively pull this off, they’d best not miss it.
July 13, 2019 at 7:22 am
Names are important. Need a strong name to represent our region.
July 13, 2019 at 8:44 am
Names and Colors
July 13, 2019 at 8:30 pm
It can be political too which is a joke. During the XFL1, Birmingham was named the BLAST. Which was cool and worked. Someone took offense since our city suffered a tragic church bombing 40 years ago. It was quickly changed to the Thunderbolts, which sucked a little but c’mon man.
Anthony J Lococo
July 13, 2019 at 10:52 pm
ST.LOUIS name should be stallions with logo of a horses head with breathing nostrils and centered with the St. LOUIS arch. STL should be centered on top of arch.
July 31, 2019 at 12:52 pm
SADLY TRUE: STL CRIME, STL CARJACKERS, STL NextFL, STL S.W.A.T., RIVER DES PERES YACHT CLUBBERS, STLawAbiders. STL MethFLer’s. STL StanK’s Toupees or STL Mustachio Bashios, STL Worst Touppees, STL NFheLLers.
July 17, 2019 at 6:53 am
Your logic is sound here, but you were wrong as I’m commenting on the 17th and the Broncos et al open camps today. You should have been right, and I do think the powers-that-be in XFL head office have made an error in missing this window.
That said, still could be any day as those NFL camps are gearing up. If they don’t get this done before Aug 1, or at the very latest prior to the NFL preseason kickoff, then I’m left to wonder if there are bigger issues that we aren’t aware of putting this on a back burner.