ESPN’s Kevin Seifert got an early glimpse at the new XFL rule book coming out today. Most of the rules are similar to what fans see in a pro football or college game. There are around 25 new tweaks aimed at making the game run faster, have more exciting scoring and a focus on player safety.
Here are some high-level XFL Rules coming this season;
- Kickoff designed to discourage touchbacks and increase the likelihood of a return
- Players can’t leave the line of scrimmage on punts until after the kick.
- Three options after scoring a touchdown, one, two or three-point conversions
- A touchback will be spotted at the 35-yard line
- A shootout-style overtime
- Two forward passes on one play
- Any punts that go into the end zone or out of bounds will be marked at the 35-yard line
- Only one foot to be in bounds for possession
- Nine officials on the field
- Video official who can intervene on significant non-reviewable plays
- Booth-initiated reviews
- Offensive linemen can be up to two yards downfield when a pass is thrown
- Running game clock
- 10-minute halftime
- Two timeouts per team per half
- No coin tosses
We will have the entire XFL rulebook once the XFL releases it later today. Watch our XFL rule book recap on our LIVE YouTube show tonight at 8 pm EST. We look at the new XFL rules we like, and the new rules we don’t like.
XFL Ownership Show More League Action on Instagram, Hint At NFL Partnership?
/ 23 hours ago
USFL Kickoff Date, Networks? CFL Week 12 Preview | The Markcast Episode 63 – Is Winnipeg Inevitable?
The USFL 2022 kickoff date? Potential TV partners to air 2022 USFL games and...